Sunday, July 25, 2010

Interview with Haider Hashimi

Published in The Saturday Post, Issue No. 193
by
Sadaf Fayyaz

Meet Haider Hashimi, a former band member of Aaroh who is now pursuing a solo career and producing his own music. Besides Aaroh, he has worked with the bands Mind Riot and Rumble Fish from Lahore. Read on to learn more about his experiences working with different bands, decision to go solo, and what kind of music we can look forward to hearing.



When and how did you get interested in music? What is the first instrument you learnt to play?
The first instrument and last instrument I learned to play was the guitar. I was never interested in playing any other instrument. I have been passionate about playing the guitar since my high school days.
What is your inspiration?
The experiences one goes through and life in general are inspiration for my music. In terms of artists, I am inspired by legends like Paul Gilbert and Joe Satriani.
Why did you leave the band Aaroh?
My decision to leave Aaroh and pursue my solo career was out of the need to experiment; I just needed to do work on my own. There was no hostility or controversy behind me leaving the band.
Tell something about the bands Mind Riot and Rumble Fish.
In both bands, I worked with Syed Farhad Humayun (Overload). I first joined Mind Riot in 1994, and later joined Rumble Fish. I joined Aaroh in 2004.
Out of the albums of Aaroh, which songs are your favorite?
The tracks Pyar Ka Jaal, Khuda and Wo Jo Kehde are my favorite songs from album Raag Neela.
Tell us about your genre of music and your new song.
Well, the music genre is rock. I have written and composed the song Nahin, and the video should be out in two to three months.

Do you have your recording label or recording studio?
No, I don’t have any yet. The reason being is that I am not in the condition to sign up at this point. I am in no hurry to work with a record label as I want to keep my options open, I don’t want to get bound with any record company for my singles. I don’t have a recording studio of my own and I get my songs recorded at other studios. If there is an album in the future, I may think of signing up with a record label.
Who are your favorite musicians?
I like listening to Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and Faraz Anwar.
Do like playing electronic or live? Have you ever played covers?
Live, of course. Live sessions are more motivating as your audience is sitting before you and is enjoying what you are playing. Also, you don’t have much room for correcting mistakes and blunders. The last song Gharoli, of album Raag Neela is a cover and it was originally performed by Abida Parveen.
How do you define music in your words?
This is a bit tricky question for me. I think music is a medium through which you can express your feelings and emotions, with the help of some instruments.


Where do you see yourself in the coming years?
I don’t believe much in planning and strategy. I just live my life and that’s about it. I started music, so let’s see where it takes me. I won’t mind if it doesn’t take me anywhere, I am not much of a planner as I said earlier. I started my journey about two decades ago, from Mind Riot to Rumble Fish, from Rumble Fish to Aaroh and from Aaroh to now going solo. Let’s see where music takes me. .
What do you think about the future of Pakistani music industry?
The present scenario is not much favorable in terms of live music. If we continue like this, our music may come to an end. Live music is vital and the main source of entertainment. Live music is the real essence of music, and if it’s not there then music will come to an end. I wish that the circumstances will improve and the situation gets better for live music.
What is your message to the readers of The Saturday Post?
Pray for your country and wish that things get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment