Sunday, July 25, 2010

Interview with Mehr Hassan

Published in The Saturday Post, Issue 199

by

Sadaf Fayyaz


Meet Mehrunnisa (Mehr) Hassan, a brilliant actress who has worked in films in South India, Bollywood, Hollywood and Lahore. While her calling is film work, she is also an internationally recognized dancer and has won several awards for her videos and dance performances with her Guru Ustad Samrat. Her versatility comes from many dimensions such as acting, modeling, singing and dancing.

Tell something about your childhood and education.
I was born and raised primarily in the US though my family made frequent trips to South Asia during summer and winter breaks. I received two double promotions in my formative years and ended up in college at the age of fifteen.
I was originally studying to be a psychiatrist! However, I always had an inclination towards acting and performance, and I decided to pursue acting as a major instead. I specialized in Shakespeare and other period works. While I was in college, I went to India for a break and started my career in South Indian films. Until I graduated, I used to study during the semester and do film work in the summers.
Tell something about your dance training.
In the US, there is a lot of emphasis on art training from one’s formative years, so I was exposed to different types of dancing (ballet, jazz, modern etc) at a fairly young age. I started my formal training with my Kathak Ustad (Ustad Samrat) when I was about twelve years old.
What is your inspiration?
In reference to dance, it comes from my Guru Ustad Samrat. As far as acting is concerned, I have been very fortunate to have had many mentors in the course of my journey. Dr. Tompkins in particular had a great deal of impact on my decision to pursue acting as a profession.
ou enjoy the most? Why?
(Laughing) You left out singing! Each one offers fulfillment to a different aspect of creativity. I started dancing before I could even walk properly, so I suppose that is my first “natural” love. I adore acting also; it allows me the opportunity to see life thru the eyes of my character. There is a great deal of cross over between the various forms of art. There is a lot of acting in dance, and my dance training has helped me tremendously in the technical aspects of acting, especially in film. I recently started composing and singing songs as well, and that allows for the tapping and exploration of a different creative source within. I am not terribly fond of modeling unless I am working with a photographer with highly innovative ideas. That experience also varies according to different photographers, though I am not complaining because I have had the privilege of working with some of the best.
You mentioned singing; tell us a bit about that.
During my training with my Ustad, he would often make me recite classical ‘gaths’ and ‘torras’ for the pieces that we were to perform on stage or in videos. Also, in some of his own compositions and studio recordings, he asked me to perform some of the vocal recitation. That’s how I started singing. I had some vocal training from doing musical theatre and have always enjoyed writing poems and short stories. I decided to try and combine writing and music. I have been working on my own debut album for the past few months and hope to release it in 2010.

You have leant so many forms of dancing, which one is the most challenging and difficult one?
Each form offers its own set of challenges. I think Kathak is one of the most detailed forms of dance and the most enjoyable genre for me personally; it is also the most challenging one as well.
Which out of modeling, acting, dancing and singing do you find the most challenging?
There are challenges that one really enjoys. I adore the creative process of breaking down a character in acting or understanding the intricacies of movement in dance. Singing is new to me, so I’m enjoying the challenge of acquiring the technical knowledge needed to present my style of singing well. Modeling is also challenging because I have little patience for it and it depends on the photographer I am working with.
Share your experience of working with Samina Peerzada in film Shararat.
I think Samina Peerzada is a really talented director and a lovely person. Unfortunately, Shararat for many reasons (too many to list here) didn’t turn out to be the best vehicle to display her abilities as a director or mine as an actor. Nevertheless, it was the first time I got the opportunity to work under the direction of a female, and that too with my leading an all star cast, which was quite educational.
You were flown in from the US for Ijaz Bajwa’s directorial debut Channa Sachi Muchi. How was that experience?
It was amazing. I think he is an exceptional producer/director. He asked me to come in to do a special appearance for CSM and I enjoyed it thoroughly. The choreographer for the piece was Khannu Samrat and I was thrilled to be working with him again on a film, post Shararat. He is a brilliant dance director. We all worked really hard and I am hopeful that audiences will Inshallah enjoy the results.
Out of all your films, which one is your favorite?
I love each role that I have had the privilege to portray, but the character I enjoyed most because of its complexity was in “The Gold Bracelet”. The film is about a Sikh-American family and the effects of 9/11 on them. It was a unique and heartfelt perspective.
Your performance is influenced by…
It depends on each individual piece. My greatest influence in dance has been my Ustad. In acting it depends on the nature of the role. Anything can inspire you. Sometimes watching a child reacting to something can help me gain insight or sometimes watching complete strangers on the street can inspire me. It just depends on the details and requirements of the performance.
How did your family support you in continuing your career?
My mother has been my biggest strength, not only in terms of my career but also in my life. She is a true visionary lady and has been very exceptional herself in her own field of work. She has been my greatest source of inspiration.
Share a few lines on your upcoming Hollywood film Heartland. When it will be out?
Heart Land is a romantic comedy. It was directed by two time Emmy winner Fred Holmes. It is a very funny film and one that I particularly enjoyed because I seldom get to do comedy. It was an honor to work with such an esteemed director. The film is currently in post production and is set to release later this year.
Who are your favorite actors?
I don’t really have favorite actors, but I enjoy actors in particular roles. I suppose amongst the actors that I have found to give the most consistent performances in terms of what I have enjoyed are: Meryl Streep, Robert DeNiro, Dustin Hoffman and Al Pacino. In South Asia, I like Aamir Khan, Shahrukh Khan, Tabu and Naseeruddin Shah.
Is there any specific role that you have a great desire to play?
There are many, I would love to do an action flick. I would love to do a role that revolved around classical dance. In general, I am most drawn to strong female characters that show independence and a strong spirit.
What is your source of motivation?
The fire within!
What is your biggest desire as an artist?
It is to be able to use art as a means of both entertainment and education. One has a unique opportunity as an artist to move people that one has never even met to a higher state of consciousness and awareness. I hope to have in my body of work, at least some pieces that have been able to have a positive influence on society.
With whom are you working with?
I am working on many projects! I am in the final phases of completing my first audio album and quite excited about it. In dance, I am continuing my work with my Ustad. In film, I have four releases lined up for 2010 so far (two in Hollywood, one in India and one in Pakistan), with more to come.
How do you take criticism?
I take it as an opportunity for exploring the inner self, learning and growing.
What is your biggest expectation?
My biggest hope is that I am able to influence and motivate those that enjoy my work to work for the greater good of humankind. I strongly feel that we are all essentially connected and that love, understanding and tolerance are the common denominators to which we must all learn to adhere.
Lastly, what is your message to readers of The Saturday Post?
The person you are going to spend the most amount of time with in your life is yourself. Find your joy, your passion, your truth, your inner voice and let it be the light that guides you.

No comments:

Post a Comment